Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Holiday - 2009

OK, so the elves went crazy this year, and I made way too many goodies for Christmas Eve. I just can't help myself when it comes to baking, more is always better. So, here is what we had:

Almond Tart - I got the taste spot on, but the crust for this was way too thick and didn't turn out quite like I would have liked. Next time I will try it with a different crust recipe. Looks great though.

Almond Cookies with Raspberry Jam - I liked these but a bit dry. The flavor was good for sure. Original recipe called for cherries, but I like jam better for sure.

Chocolate Chip Peppermint Cookies - So if you are a fan of the thin, crispy chocolate chip cookie, this one is for you. I substituted dark chocolate and mint chips vs. plain old chocolate chips, and I liked the flavor.

PB&J Thumbprints - I am a big fan of the peanut butter cookie, and this one was nice and moist. It sort of tasted like a PB&J sandwich, and better yet, none of that bread to get in the way of the flavor. I had issues getting the cookie to turn out with a dent in the middle, I basically had to take them out of the oven a bit raw and then mush them around.

Chocolate Mexican Cookies - By far the best cookies of the season. Everyone that has tried these likes these, well, everyone that likes cinnamon. If you are not a fan, then you might not like these so much. Decided to modify the recipe a bit and rolled them in sugar. Next time I might add an extra dash of chili powder to take the spice up a bit.

Gingerbread Cookies - I have never, ever made gingerbread cookies. I know, crazy. Anyway, these were supposed to be chewy, but these were crispy, and not due to the baking. I even tried cutting 3 minutes off the bake time, and they still ended up crispy. The taste was fine, don't mind the decorations, that will never be my job when I open up a bakery.

Tiramisu Eggnog Triffle - This was AMAZING. The custard turned out really well, the flavors blended nicely and it was light and tasty. You for sure have to be a fan of tiramisu, otherwise you won't like this no matter how fantastic it tastes.

6 comments:

  1. The chocolate chip and peppermint one looks a bit like poo in the picture, maybe do some photo editing? we all know that almost all the stuff we try is good sometimes even great and your photos should reflect that quality. That said... Bring on the treacle tart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almond Tart - Can't remember if I tried this.

    Almond Cookies with Raspberry Jam - 2 - Too dry and starchy, but the jam helped.

    Chocolate Chip Peppermint Cookies - 3 - They were good. I like mint.

    PB&J Thumbprints - Didn't sample these.

    Chocolate Mexican Cookies - 4 - Great for cookies, and I'm not even a big chocolate lover. Don't give out this recipe.

    Gingerbread Cookies - 3 - Good taste, but I prefer gingerbread super thin, crispy, and so strong that your mouth burns if you have too many. The thinness was a plus.

    Tiramisu Eggnog Triffle - 1 - Revolting. Tasted like grain alcohol and had a weird texture. Not my kind of dessert.

    Thanks for bringing over enough desserts to feed England. We have another round of people over here tonight. I'll give them all your blog listing so they can comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay- So I know you don't have the pics up yet, but I have to post this. Maybe you can rearrange it when you post.

    Dinner didn't turn out right tonight so we drank and ate dessert. I wish you could have seen it. People are fighting over the custard tart and the treacle tart. Everything but the Victoria Sponge is GONE!

    Bakewell Tart - 2 - Needs more jam. They say something is missing. Some spice...mace? Also, I guess they are used to a sugar frosting on top before the almonds go on.

    Treacle Tart - 3 if you like that kind of thing. Nigel said something about it being very much like a southwestern England version. More like it is in Cornwall or Devon. Less lemon, but great.

    Custard thing - 4 - Awesome. So good. People are seriously fighting over who gets the last of it. Texture and consistency are amazing and the crust is inspired.

    Victoria Sponge - 2 - Looks beautiful. Too dry, not enough jam or cream. Try again.

    Tiramisu Triffle - I can't score it. I thought it was disgusting, but George LOVED it. He's bringing the entire rest of it home. It reminded him of some Greek dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the care package...

    Chocolate Peppermint Cookies - awesome, loved them, like thin mints

    Almond Macaroons - good but a bit dry (maybe the shipping)

    Peanut Butter Cookies - good peanut butter, and you are right, could have used some jam to balance out the peanut butter. what about putting some little pieces of actual peanuts in these?

    Mexican Chocolate - i liked the cinnamon, but the chocolate was overwhelming for me. immediately poured myself some milk

    Gingerbread Dogs - loved the dog shape and thought they tasted good but a little dry again

    Thanks again, eagerly awaiting the next batch (zuchinni bread!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Victoria sponge was way better after about a week. The cake had soaked up some moisture from the cream and jam, but still held its shape.

    ReplyDelete