Monday, January 4, 2010

British Holidays (not quite Boxing Day)

So my dear friend Fitz missed out on the holidays this year (he works for a pub in Phoenix, and they were open on Christmas Eve AND Christmas Day, and Boxing Day - whatever that is). I was so sad for him that I dedicated myself to making everything his heart desired, which meant Treacle Tart, Victoria Sponge, Custard Tart, and Bakewell Tart. I feel like British desserts are all the same, a lot of sugar and butter. But they were a big hit for the most part. Not the world's greatest pictures, but here goes.

Treacle Tart - I have now made this twice, and this time I got the crust right, but the inside apparently didn't 'taste' like a treacle tart (too much lemon). So I need to combine the inside from the original recipe with the outside of this recipe, and I will have a hit on my hands.

Victoria Sponge - So this looked beautiful, but the cake was too dry. I think that it was baked at too high of a temperature and for far too long. Next time I need to take it from 375 degrees to 350 degrees, and go for 25 minutes vs. 35 minutes.

Bakewell Tart - Yummy, as far as the taste, but Fitz felt that it needed more jam, which I will add the next time I try this one. Got the tart shell spot on. Made me feel good about me. I think the only other thing to change would maybe be to toast the almonds a bit more before I put them on top.

Custard Tart - By far the favorite at the shindig. The crust really was amazing, and the custard turned out perfectly. Fitz felt there was too much nutmeg on top (which I will have to take his word on, since I have absolutely no point of reference).

No comments:

Post a Comment