Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Mmmmmmm (asterbaking) - Spice Cake with Caramelized Pears and Buttercream Frosting


Check out those luscious layers of cake and frosting goodness! I love layer cakes, even if I am unable to make them pretty, even if I am unable to frost them perfectly. Even if the layers are not perfectly level, it is all good, it is about how it tastes. So the cake itself was amazing, just the right amount of spices, I might do a bit more nutmeg the next time around, but other than that, great. The pears could have been more caramelized. I will for sure do that better the next time around. I think there was an issue with not enough heat to get a good caramelized pear. The worst part was the buttercream frosting. I didn't like the recipe at all, which included a soft ball of maple syrup (which was fun to make but not tasty), and this weird meringue fluff in addition to the buttercream. I might go for a whipped cream frosting the next time and just do it in between the layers and then on the top. Leave the sides open and go natural. Let the cake shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment