Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Valentines Day with Master Baking Flair - Hummingbird Cake


I cooked dinner for some friends this year for Valentine's Day, those of us without that special man in our lives, and we had a really good time. Pasta, fish, wine, and of course, dessert. Who could ask for more? I made this Hummingbird Cake as a follow up to the Carrot Cake I did a couple of weeks ago . . . a friend of mine in Chicago had made one for her husband's birthday, and I really liked it, so I decided to take a swing at it myself.

Where does the name come from? I was asked this, and of course I had no response. Here is what I got from the Martha Stewart website - "Some say this Southern layer cake earned its name because each otherworldly bite makes you hum with delight. Another theory is that it's as sweet as the sugared water used to attract its hovering namesake."


Well, this cake certainly made me sing. I still need to work on my frosting techniques (no comments here from the peanut gallery), I could have gone thicker in the middle layer and then a bit thinner on the outer layer. The cake was super moist, and I liked the flavor. It could have been bolder, I am not sure how exactly, but there was something that just didn't pack enough punch for me. There was a banana bread flavor, but not overwhelming for folks that don't like bananas. Maybe it was the spices, it called for cinnamon, I might add something else (nutmeg perhaps) the next time I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment