Monday, February 22, 2010

A Weekend in Nashville - Angel Food Cake (for my little angel)


I am pretty sure that my best friend Melissa thinks I am crazy . . . how can baking be relaxing? Well, when you work in the field that I work in (IT Consulting), your days are filled with hours upon hours on end of sitting in front of a computer, working on things that you know make no difference in the grand scheme of life. Moreover, nothing you do exists in the 'real' world, it is all virtual. So having the chance to create, to do something that always makes others happy, well, it makes me feel good. And it is also super relaxing. Having to get up for a 5:30am flight, not relaxing. Baking cookies before the big flight, super relaxing.

Anyway, spent the weekend in Nashville for a friend's baby shower (congrats Bonnie!), and while I was there, decided to lend a hand in the kitchen, making cakes and cookies for my buddies. Jeff (Melissa's husband) put in a special request for this - homemade Angel Food cake with Chocolate Whipped Cream frosting (not pictured). I had never made an Angel Food cake, but now that I have, I will never buy one at the store again. It was very simple to make, and tastes so amazing in comparison, so fresh. And I like that I can play around with the flavorings, too cool. The chocolate frosting was also nice, although I am a fruit girl when it comes to my angel food cake. Oh well, nice change of pace.

This little cutie is my god-daughter, and I think she is just about the cutest kid in the world. look at that tongue hanging out there! She thinks she is about 8 feet tall, totally fearless (hmmmmm, wonder where she gets that from?). We took her to the playground and she just loved crawling and walking around and having us follow her. A special favorite was the swing . . . howled with delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment