Monday, February 22, 2010

Is It Ok to Master Bake at Your Friend's House? - Oatmeal Cake with Coconut Pecan Frosting


Every time I go to Hilmes's house, I tend to go a bit over the top when it comes to food. I just can't help myself. Two doctors who work insane hours with a little girl in the house, sometimes you just need someone there to take care of you. Enter the Master Baker. I for sure was told that I am not allowed to make more than one cake in the weekend, but I just couldn't help myself when it came to our Friday night dinner. Everyone loves to come home to cake right out of the oven, it is so yummy, makes you feel so good. So I picked a simple recipe to make, and I think it turned out nicely.


The Oatmeal Cake was nice and moist, with a not-too-sweet taste to it. Very simple, maybe the next time I will make it a 'spice' cake, and add some cinnamon or nutmeg to it. But not too rich, and a great texture. The frosting was good, I should have left it in the oven for a bit longer in order to allow the coconut to brown a bit more, but all in all, it was a great cake. Kind of like a big praline on the top with the pecans and the brown sugar. For not wanting to have 2 cakes in a weekend, we managed to polish this one off before we ate the Angel Food cake on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment